Dear Humber Valley families,
After 6 long months, hockey is set to return to Humber Valley! On Monday, the GTHL shared it’s return-to-play framework called the Game Plan, outlining timelines, protocols, and procedures for the 2020-21 hockey season for all levels of play. This framework allows players to get back to sanctioned hockey within a fun but safe environment.
With the release of the Game Plan, all organizations under GTHL jurisdiction, including Humber Valley, are now able to finalize programming for the upcoming season. Our Board of Directors is busy developing plans which adhere to the framework while also taking into account the feedback we received from families through our recent survey. We will release more details on our programming shortly. Keep an eye on our website, Facebook page and email for more information.
Game Plan Structure
There are 5 phases outlined within the Game Plan. (1) The Warm Up, (2) 1st Period, (3) 2nd Period, (4) 3rd Period and (5) Overtime. As we progress through each of the phases the rules around what is permitted will gradually relax. All phases are designed to follow public health guidelines. A timeline has been applied to the first 2 phases while advancement through subsequent phases will depend on the public health situation at the time. The complete details of the return-to-play structure and what is allowed within each phase can be found in the Game Plan but key information includes:
Details for all levels of play
- The “Warm Up” phase begins on September 8th. No on-ice activity is permitted but off-ice training in groups of 10 may begin.
- Sanctioned on-ice activity is allowed in the “1st Period” starting October 7th and will focus on skating and puck skills in a practice setting.
- Screening procedures will be implemented for every participant prior to partaking in any team activity. Appropriate health and safety measures will also be applied.
- There are no games or scrimmages against outside teams but 3 on 3 and 4 on 4 scrimmages will be allowed. 5 on 5 play will not resume until we reach the 3rd Period.
- Competition against outside teams can begin in the 2nd Period within a modified structure.
- The rules of play will be updated to minimize contact.
House League, Competitive Development Program & Select
- House League registration is open and continues on our website. We encourage anyone who wants to participate to register as soon as possible. Register here.
- We will host Competitive Development (players born 2012 to 2016) and Select programs (players born 2011 or earlier) this year. The final details of how this will look are in deliberation and will be communicated soon.
Sharks A & AA
- GTHL A & AA Sharks players may register starting September 7th.
- There will be no tryouts this season.
- If you are looking for a team, player wanted ads will be posted on our website starting September 8th.
Hockey will no doubt look different this year but I encourage everyone to have an open mind. Hockey as we knew it will return – but for now, our number one priority must be elevating the safety of all stakeholders while ensuring that players continue to have fun and develop.
Need for Volunteers
With these changes comes an even greater need for volunteers to assist us in delivering high quality programming to all of our participants. If you’re interested, we’d love to hear from you. Please reach out to me directly or to email@example.com.
Reminder: Annual General Meeting
I would also like to take this opportunity to remind you that our Annual General Meeting will be hosted via video conference on September 23rd at 7:30pm. All Humber Valley members are invited and encouraged to attend. You must register in advance. For more details and to register click here.
Thank you for your continued patience and support. I look forward to seeing you at the rink very soon!
President, Humber Valley Hockey Association