Good morning Humber Valley families,
I want to start by saying a big thank you for your unwavering patience and support over the last 6 months. Navigating these times has not been easy. Your Board of Directors has spent countless hours considering a significant number of moving parts and information that changed almost daily to get us to where we are today. With that, we are happy to announce that we will kick off the 2020-21 season as early as October 7th. You will be contacted shortly by your coach or convenor with details specific to your age group and level of play.
While you may have heard that some GTA organizations have chosen to cancel the 2020-21 season, we are choosing to proceed and confident that we can host a successful start. Sport is an essential component of the overall health and wellbeing of our children, and this is central in our decision to move forward. However, we are implementing a number of new safety policies and procedures using the return-to-play framework released by our governing body, the Greater Toronto Hockey League (GTHL). We have also adapted the structure and format of play at all levels to ensure the safest possible environment for all members. Hockey will look different this season and some of the changes may feel uncomfortable at first. However, it is imperative to ensure the health and safety of our players, coaches, families and volunteers and we will not compromise on this. To this end:
- All HVHA programs will operate within the GTHL’s Game Plan framework and will be in compliance with the Ontario and City of Toronto Public Health Covid-19 requirements
- All players and family members will be required to follow mandated health and safety protocols designed to ensure the safest possible environment for our participants, families and volunteers. Failure to adhere to any required protocols may result in a ban from participating in our programs. New protocols include but are not limited to:
- Medical screening and temperature checks.
- Mandated mask wearing while inside facilities at all HVHA events. Masks may be removed for on-ice activity, however, they are strongly recommended. Coaches in our U9 and younger age groups will be required to wear masks on the ice.
- A strong recommendation that all players dress prior to entering facilities and stringent limitations on the use of dressing rooms.
- Fewer participants on teams and fewer players participating in on-ice activities at any one time. The numbers will vary between age groups and levels of play.
- On-ice activity will be structured to maintain social distancing as much as possible.
- There will be a restriction of one parent or guardian accompanying participants into facilities. We are strongly recommending that parents of players 10+ not enter facilities.
- Protocols may be strengthened or relaxed depending on the public health situation.
2020-21 Refund Policy
Of course, there remains a strong possibility of additional program modifications, postponements, or full suspensions of play throughout the season due to the pandemic. These are largely out of our control and include but are not limited to:
- Changing directives from municipal, provincial or federal health authorities.
- Changes to rules or regulations by our governing bodies, the GTHL, the OHF or Hockey Canada.
- Outbreaks of COVID-19 within our community or at facilities in which we operate.
- Changes in insurance coverage.
We will make every effort to mitigate the impact of such circumstances on our programs and we will act in good faith to offer refunds or credits should there be any associated postponement or cancellations resulting in a reduced schedule. We will also be offering refunds to any family that chooses to withdraw from our programs paper writing service at any time due to concerns surrounding Covid-19. In this case, refunds will be prorated based on the number of sessions remaining in the season.
I will repeat myself and emphasize just how grateful we are to be surrounded by such a patient and supportive community. We are excited to be moving forward but cautious and committed to ensuring a safe environment where all participants will develop their skills, have fun and build confidence. Over the next week you can expect to hear from your division VP, convenor or coach with additional kick-off and scheduling information.
As always, please contact me or any member of the board with questions, concerns or feedback.
Thank you and see you at the rink very soon,
President, Humber Valley Hockey Association