Hello Humber Valley families,
I hope this note finds you well. I want to thank you for your patience as we waited for final direction from our governing body, the GTHL, on the fate of the 2020-21 hockey season in Toronto.
At this time, the GTHL is maintaining the directive that clubs may reopen when the region in which they operate moves into the “orange restrict” level. Although this may lead some to believe that a season is possible, the reality is that we have exhausted all options and see no viable path to hosting a season at Humber Valley. As such, we have made the difficult decision to cancel the 2020-21 hockey season.There was much discussion about potential options for resuming play if our region was upgraded, because like so many of you, we were hoping to get back on the ice. But faced with the facts, your Board of Directors felt that we could no longer postpone the inevitable.
- Given that we are now in the month of March and remain in “grey/lockdown”, a move to orange is at minimum 4 weeks away.
- When we are given the green light to resume operations, we will require a minimum of 1 week to establish facility availability as well as the required safety protocols in collaboration with the facilities in which we would operate.
- In a best case scenario the season would be very short and it is highly unlikely that teams would see any game play.
- City ice removal has commenced in some facilities and more are scheduled to follow. The cost of ice will increase substantially over the coming weeks.
- Most importantly, we remain in a situation where the health of our players, families and volunteers must be prioritized over a return-to-play.
For these reasons, we are now shifting our focus and looking forward to the 2021-22 hockey season. I know that this news will be disappointing for many but we hope you can understand our rational and join us in looking forward to finally lacing up in the fall.
House League Refunds
Full refunds of fees paid for the 2020-21 season are available to all families. We are also providing the option of crediting fees toward next season’s registration. If you have not yet requested and received a refund, please complete this form and let us know how you would like to proceed. If we do not hear from you, we will issue a refund in the form of a check and send it to the address on file. Refunds will be issued within 2 to 4 weeks.
2021-22 Season Registration
Over the coming weeks we will have more information to share about our programs and registration for 2021-22, but it is our intention to open our registration system in the spring. We will post all available information and updates on our website, Facebook page and through email.
2021-22 Competitive Development, Select & A/AA Tryouts
The Ontario Hockey Federation (OHF) has cancelled all spring tryouts in Ontario. Tryouts, for all ages and all levels will be held in the fall. We will post all information regarding tryouts to our website as soon as it is available. In the meantime, if you have any questions regarding our programs please reach out to one of the following contacts:
I want to again thank you for your patience and support over this last year. Please know, that our efforts are now firmly focused on the future and providing the best return-to-hockey at Humber Valley. We cannot wait to see returning players and families and welcome newcomers to our community in 2021-22.
President, Humber Valley Hockey Association