Our Select hockey program provides an opportunity for house league players to participate in competitive hockey. The goals of the program are to provide additional skills development opportunities for players, foster sportsmanship, and assist in the development of positive social skills and teamwork.
All players registered in our house league may try-out for one of our Select teams. We attempt to field as many Select teams per age group as there is interest in order to provide the opportunity to as many players as possible. Teams compete in the tier which is most suited to their level of experience.
What you need to know:
- Players who make the Select team must also play in our House League at the same time meaning these players will play for two teams.
- As a Select team member players typically have one league game and one or two additional practices per week.
- Humber Valley Select teams play against other Select teams from the GTA within the North York Hockey League (NYHL).
- Teams enter the playing tier which is most suited to their level of experience and play against teams of similar caliber.
- Games start in October, and continue through to the end of March.
- Select teams also enter weekend tournaments throughout the season.
- The number of tournaments is decided at the team level but typically ranges from 1 to 3.
- Depending on the age of the child, try-outs are held in the Spring or Fall for the following season’s team.
- Spring – U11 to U21/2009 and older
- Fall – U10/2010 and below
- There are additional fees (in addition to your house league fees) in order to participate. Additional fees cover team practice ice, team registration fee to play in the NYHL, tournament enrollment fees, uniforms and other costs. Coaches will provide an estimate of anticipated fees at try-out time.
Select Quick Links:
For more information about our Select Hockey Program, contact Grant Henderson